Sign In     |     Sign Up
Home / News / HeroWear makes available its exosuit for all

HeroWear makes available its exosuit for all

13
Apr '20
Pic: PR Newswire
Pic: PR Newswire
HeroWear has now made available its exosuit for all. The exosuit has been introduced as part of the WeaRAcon 2020 virtual conference. Researched, developed, and tested at Vanderbilt University, the suit is a back-assist exoskeleton device composed of lightweight materials. It can take over 50 pounds of strain off the back every time an object is lifted.

The exosuit for all - Apex - has been designed to fit both men and women. It reduces strain on the lower back for benders, lifters and leaners.

HeroWear's non-powered tech combines robust strength and ease of use. It's also the first exo device on the market with a fit specifically designed and built for female users, who currently make up over half of the US workforce.

The suit itself, which weighs 3.4 pounds and is composed of lightweight materials, can take over fifty pounds of strain off the back every time an object is lifted. Using a proprietary on/off clutch mechanism, the HeroWear exosuit also provides maximum flexibility throughout the day, supporting a greater variety of motion than most competitors, and maximising safety and strength when workers need it most.

Researched, developed, and tested at Vanderbilt University, HeroWear's non-powered tech combines robust strength and ease of use. It's also the first exo device on the market with a fit specifically designed and built for female users, who currently make up over half of the US workforce.

"We believe that many hardworking people of the world could benefit from the power of exoskeleton or exosuit technologies," says CEO and cofounder Mark Harris. "And we've found that a one-size-fits-all approach doesn't lead to the best outcomes. Work doesn't only come in one size, and exos shouldn't either. That's why from day one we prioritised a female-specific fit."

The suit itself, which weighs 3.4 pounds and is composed of lightweight materials, can take over fifty pounds of strain off the back every time an object is lifted. Using a proprietary on/off clutch mechanism, the HeroWear exosuit also provides maximum flexibility throughout the day, supporting a greater variety of motion than most competitors, and maximising safety and strength when workers need it most.

"For exos to be truly helpful, they have to be easy to adopt by the average warehouse worker. The reality is, even for a person lifting 150 boxes an hour, they only spend 10 per cent of their time lifting. The other 90 per cent of their time they are doing other things, often walking or riding a forklift. That's why from day one we built the Apex to not interfere with their motion," says Harris. "With our textile-based device, you get assistance when you need it, and it gets out of the way when you don't."

With data saying approximately 80 per cent of the population will experience back pain at some time in their lives, the HeroWear Apex suit and exoskeleton technology have the potential to be a major positive tech disruptor in the industrial workforce, with the promise of relieving some of the dramatic cost of lower back pain.

Fibre2Fashion News Desk (SV)

Leave your Comments

Pic: Alpha Pro Tech
Alpha Pro Tech reports 62% growth in PPE orders
Pic: Shutterstock
Lear enhances capacity to produce protective masks

Follow us